How To Use CBD For Asthma
If you are looking for ways to use CBD for Asthma, you are in the right place. CBD or cannabinol has become so popular in the health industry. Several anecdotal evidence shows that it’s not only safe but also has many health benefits. Here we will see how it can be beneficial for the cure of Asthma.
Before that, we will understand about asthma, its symptoms, and different methods of treating it. After that, you will see the benefits or asthma, its adverse effects, and various forms of CBD available for asthma.
Asthma, Its Types, And Symptoms
Asthma is a common breathing disorder due to the blockage of the respiratory airways of the lungs. As a result, it becomes tough to breathe. Typically, the airways become constricted and choked with mucus. Chronic asthma and allergic asthma are the two major types of asthma. Here are some of the common symptoms of asthma:
- Chest pain and tightness
- Difficulty in falling asleep
- Shortness of breath
Next, we will see the different methods to diagnose asthma.
Apart from the symptoms, there are several ways to diagnose asthma. You will need a respiratory specialist if you have more critical conditions.
Some of the asthma symptoms are quite similar to COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), other respiratory infections, and allergies. However, a physical examination can rule out that confusion. The physician may ask you the following questions during the physical examination.
- What symptoms do you have?
- When and how long have they been?
- Do you or your close relatives have COPD, allergies, or eczema?
Once the doctor asks you these questions, several tests might be done to confirm whether it’s asthma or anything else.
- Pulmonary Tests or Lung Function Tests: It’s a common test that measures your breathing capacity. The test is done before and after a bronchodilator to ease your airways. If your condition becomes better after taking the medication, then it’s likely that you have asthma.
- FeNO Test: When you have inflamed lung airways, it’s a sign of asthma. This test measures the nitric oxide level of your breath.
- Imaging Tests: An X-ray scan or CT scan may help you figure out the causes of your breathing problems.
- Provocative Tests: In this test, your physician will check the obstruction of your airway before and after you are exposed to physical activity or cold.
- Allergy Tests: The allergy tests are helpful to diagnose if the asthma is caused due to an allergy. This test will determine if you are allergic to some substances such as dust or mold, pet dander, pollen, etc.
Now that you know different ways to diagnose asthma let’s talk about its cure. In fact, there is no cure for this disorder till now. However, it’s essential to avoid the triggers and manage the condition to keep it under control.
A faster relief method can bring your breathing condition back to normal for a sudden asthma attack. Some of the popular ways for immediate relief are rescue inhalers, nebulizers, anti-inflammatories, corticosteroids, etc. These are the common bronchodilators for managing a quick asthma attack.
In the long-term medications category, there are also several ways to manage asthma. LTRAs, theophyllines, beta-agonists, etc., are some medications to control the symptoms. Other methods include injections, bronchial thermoplasty, allergy medications, and some home remedies.
Although the above methods can reduce the symptoms of asthma, there are several side-effects. These adverse effects include throat infections, sore throat, fungal infections, etc. Therefore, many people turned towards CBD (a hemp extract that contains less than 0.3% THC). Now, let’s see how to use CBD for asthma and what are the different options available.
CBD for Asthma
There are some good reasons that many people want to use CBD for asthma and other health problems. Unlike THC, it doesn’t have psychoactive effects, so the asthma patient will not get high. It’s readily available and readily available.
Apart from these, here are some reasons that show cannabis like CBD is a good option for managing asthma symptoms.
- CBD Is Anti-inflammatory: One of the main reasons many people want to use CBD for asthma is its anti-inflammatory properties. The condition due to asthma even becomes worse due to inflammation. When an asthmatic patient is exposed to any allergic environment, it flares up the symptoms and clogs the airways making the breathing condition more critical.
As CBD has anti-inflammatory properties, it can be good medicine for reducing the symptoms of asthma. According to a study in 2019 by the European Journal of Pharmacology, CBD can reduce inflammation and restore lung function.
- CBD Can Reduce Anxiety Related to Asthma Drug: Anxiety can become a big problem for your mental health and overall well-being. Generally, most of the traditional inhalers can increase the anxiety level. However, CBD can be used with inhalers as it has anti-anxiety properties.
Now that you know the reasons for using CBD for asthma, it’s essential to understand CBD’s adverse effects and safety concerns.
Adverse Effects Of CBD For Asthma
People who are suffering from asthma would prefer to use anything that offers relief for the symptoms. Although CBD helps reduce the symptoms of asthma, scientists are not sure how much CBD for asthma. Moreover, there are not many studies on the interactions of CBD with other drugs.
Therefore, it’s essential to consult a doctor before you take any medication or start your CBD regimen. One of the primary concerns of taking excess CBD can have problems in sleeping, dry mouth, and diarrhea.
Another problem is people who want to smoke or vape CBD for asthma can worsen the condition. As smoking or vaping CBD can cause large air sacs in the airways and in lung cavities, it can be dangerous in some worst cases.
With that in mind, no matter what you vape or smoke, they can worsen the condition of asthma. Anyway, let’s understand how to take CBD for asthma properly.
How To Take CBD For Asthma
When it comes to choosing the right dosage and the form of CBD, several factors come into consideration.
- The type of asthma
- The intensity and frequency of your symptoms
- Your body weight and height
- Your metabolism
- Other drugs or medications
- How your body responds to THC
As always, it’s essential to consult a physician to decide the method of consumption and dosage properly. Here are some of the standard options available when you want to use CBD for asthma.
Different topical CBD products such as creams, lotions, and balms can be applied to the skin. It can be absorbed by the bloodstream trans-dermally and start affecting. You need to rub it on your chest area to get relief from asthma symptoms.
CBD Capsules And Pills
One of the common forms of CBD for asthma symptoms management is capsules. Only 20 to 30% of the ingested CBD reaches the bloodstream. Generally, capsules and pills take two to four hours to show the effects. So, you have to wait until it shows the effect on your body.
Edibles are the most popular form of CBD that can be used for the cure of asthma. The different options available are CBD gummies, chocolates, cookies, powders, lollipops, etc. CBD gummies are more common as you can use them without any guess for the dosage. It takes some time to feel the effect of CBD.
Another way you can use CBD for asthma is through inhalers. It can give you quick relief during an asthma attack. Usually, many people use CBD inhalers instead of smoking. It can make asthma patients easy breathing and reduce other symptoms.
Last but not least, CBD tinctures are now widely available in dark bottles with a dropper. Usually, the CBD manufacturers add around 60% carrier oil or alcohol. You can take it orally or sublingually and choose the right potency according to your conditions.
Honestly, there is no permanent cure for asthma; it’s a life long problem. However, you need to be careful and avoid the triggers to manage the symptoms. In severe conditions, it becomes complicated to breathe. So, you should always have an inhaler or capsules to reduce the situation when it happens suddenly.
As CBD has anti-inflammatory, anti-anxiety, and pain-relieving properties, many people want to use it. I hope the above article has helped you to understand how to use CBD for asthma. Lastly, please share your queries in the comment section.
may you also read
Do you know what CBD is? How does CBD make you feel? CBD is a cannabinoid present in cannabis plants that have been shown to have medicinal effects. Cannabidiol (CBD) is a kind of ...read more